Small Steps To Bigger Savings
- The Small Step to Bigger Savings service is the online home of the state of Michigan’s 401(k) plans and 457 retirement plans
- Any new hire or rehire can enroll in the State of Michigan’s 401(k) Plan or the State of Michigan’s 457 retirement plan
- Operated by the state of Michigan
- Initial in a Michigan online retirement account may be done without setting up a password, but a password will be needed for future access to the account
People who have retirement accounts can log on to manage a state of Michigan
plan online, including viewing their current balance, seeing recent trends, changing the address on their account, and other important management tools. To sign up for a Michigan retirement plan account online for the first time, employees will just need to enter their Social Security Number (not their name or any other personal information). For workers who are not familiar with plans, Michigan offers retirement plan seminars several times a year to current employees or retirees learn more about the plans that are available. Registration for these seminars is required. People who need retirement advice specific to their Michigan retirement account and their needs can actually log on to set up a one on one appointment to speak with someone that can offer specific recommendations to their scenario.
How to sign up for a State of Michigan retirement plan online
Eligible employees can participate in Michigan’s state worker 401(k) and 457 plan as soon as they begin work with a participating agency. When an employee signs up for Michigan retirement online for the first time, they will receive enrollment details about their potential contributions and investment choices, fees for the plan, and info about historic investment performance.
To contact the Michigan Office of Retirement Services
- Office of Retirement Services, PO Box 30171, Lansing, MI 48909-7671
- Call 1-800-748-6128